We want the best for our little kiddos. Before we buy things for them, we the parent, make sure we got the best quality and everything we purchased is worth a penny. From baby’s clothes to baby’s food, we make sure every detail is good for our little one’s sake.
One valuable thing our baby can’t live without is their feeding bottles. There are two types of baby bottles – the plastic and the glass feeding bottles. Though most moms using plastic bottles, I never stop myself using the glass one. I will evaluate the best glass baby bottles that are available in the market and tell you why glass bottle is still okay to use.
You can check my table for summarization and evaluation of quality, price reviews and its star rating.
History of The Glass Baby Bottles
A Natural material like silica sand is the main substance for making a glass which is safer than the chemical compound that is used with plastic baby bottles.
As a new mom, I was not introduced to glass feeding bottles. I purely breastfed my first son for the time he was born up to his six months and after that, we switch him back and forth from breastfeeding and plastic bottles for his milk time, which is the usual choice for every parent.
Hence, the glass baby bottles were already existing decades ago and were once the best options for mommies. It was the only kind of feeding bottles available then, when the plastic feeding bottles for babies were produced, moms using glass bottles became obsolete and they happened to be a rare option for mommies.
Factors To Consider When buying Baby Glass Bottles
- Check the weight and size of the bottle – make sure you will find a compatible fit for your baby. Glass feeding bottle comes with different sizes. The bigger the size is, the heavier it is. So make sure your baby’s hand can easily grip the bottle to avoid dropping and breaking it.
- Check the shape of the bottle – Shape of the baby bottles has a lot to do when you are trying to switch your baby’s milk session from breastfeeding to feeding bottles. The shape must be similar to the shape of a breast. Glass feeding bottles are usually wide, which is perfect for this purpose.
- Check the nipples – Most of the nipples that are out in the market is silicone made, which is stronger and more durable compared to those who are created with latex. There are different kinds of nipples for baby bottles, first is the regular shape nipples, second is the wide nipples and last is the orthodontic nipples that are commonly advised by the dentist to use.
- Check if silicone sleeve is included – The glass baby bottle is breakable, however, some manufacturer created silicone sleeves that are already built-in made. Some available glass feeding bottles are silicone-coated, it is coated on outside the bottle part to avoid mixing with the milk. It also helps to make the bottle be easily gripped.
- Check other features or mechanism – Most of the glass infant bottles are heat and shock resistant. Aside from that, there are glass baby bottles with an advanced anti-colic system for easy cleaning and air vent mechanism to avoid baby from swallowing a lot of air.
Glass Baby Bottles Pros and Cons
Before revealing the list for the Best Glass Baby Bottles for this year, I rather layout first the disadvantages and the advantages of using glass feeding bottles for babies.
Advantages of Using Glass Geeding Bottles For Babies
Here are the three main reasons why you might consider buying glass baby bottles versus the plastic bottles:
- NonToxic – The best characteristic of baby glass bottles is that it is toxic-free, unlike plastic bottles. Recently experts found out about the toxic materials that use to produce some plastic. This is what they called “BPA” or bisphenol A and this compound mostly found in polycarbonate plastic, this chemical might be harmful to our baby’s health though there’s no absolute proof or studies on that part yet, it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Easy to clean – Cleaning feeding bottles is one chore that we can never get rid off while our kiddos still use feeding bottles. Yes, you read it right, cleaning bottles might be chaos for most of the parents. However, glass feeding bottles are easier to clean, different from plastic bottles. Spoiled and spongy left-over milk can be removed without exerting much effort unlike with plastic bottles.
- Can’t deform – when sanitizing feeding bottles we sterilize it. Too much sterilization or boiling of water can make plastic bottles slightly deform thus cannot happen to a glass feeding bottle.
Disadvantages of Using Glass Feeding Bottles For babies
Here are two top reasons why glass bottles nearly disappear in the market and mommies pick the plastic bottle instead.
- It is breakable – this is the top and an obvious disadvantage of using a glass feeding bottle. Since it is glass it is prone to break easily. Of course, no parents would like to clean up a shattered glass in the middle of the night, when the baby accidentally throw or drop the glass while drinking milk. Nevertheless, it is not advisable to use without an elder supervision. However smart moms use silicone sleeves wrap on the glass bottle to avoid breakage.
- It is heavier- Glass bottles are heavier compared to plastic bottles. Baby might have a hard time gripping the glass bottle. However, some glass feeding bottles manufacturer created an “easy to grip” style to fit our baby’s soft and little hands.
The 5 Best Glass Baby Bottles
1. Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottles
The first best glass baby bottle that’s on my list is Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottles, the brand itself will tell you it’s a quality feeding bottle. Philip Avent is a well-known manufacturer all over the world.
This is the best choice of mommies because of its trusted brand name. If you are looking for the quality and does not care more about your budget this Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottles is the one you must have.
- It is advisable to use when you are switching back and forth breastfeeding and bottle since it has breast-shaped silicone nipple.
- Tested for heat and thermal shock resistant, recommended for moms that do sterilize often
- It has an advanced anti-colic system which is really helpful when you are removing spoiled milk left-overs.
- You can put the bottle from freezing to a boiling point temp without cracking the glass.
- Silicone sleeve and storage caps are not included so you need to buy it separately.
- Hard to assemble, this glass baby bottles are in 3 parts the nipple the nipple connector and the glass bottles.
- If not assemble correctly you might encounter leaks or drips issue.
2. Evenflo Feeding Classic Glass Twist Bottles
The next one is Evenflo Feeding Classic Glass Twist Bottles. It is true that Classic can still be one of the best! This is for mommies that can’t compromise their budgets but still looking for standard glass bottles.
Evenflo is one of the pioneering baby bottle manufacturer nationwide. Evenflo Feeding Classic Glass Twist BottleHas impressive reviews and feedbacks from customers.
- You can buy a 6-set of glass bottles with very affordable price unlike other brands of glass bottles.
- Its modern twist style has its gripping advantage for babies.
- The micro air vent mechanism of Evenflo Feeding Classic Glass is a perfection to avoid nipple collapse.
- 100%non-toxic materials were used Phthalate Free, Latex Free, Lead-Free, BPA Free.
- Only good for babies that are more than 6 months old, not advisable to use by newborns.
- Nipples and caps that came with the can easily damage.
- The lids are not included in the package, you need to buy separate lids and make sure it is a perfect fit to the bottle to avoid dripping.
- No silicone sleeves and no storage caps included.
3. Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle Newborn Feeding Set
The third glass baby bottle that made it on my list is Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle Newborn Feeding Set, this is what I used when I decided to change my son’s bottle from plastic to glass. Dr. Brown’s glass bottle focuses for a newborn baby. They make sure that their glass bottles are safe for baby’s health.
- The bottle is BPA, PVC, lead and phthalate free
- The vent system is specially designed to reduce feeding problems like colic, spit-up, burping and gas.
- Nipples that are included are 100% silicone. A First class nipple that fits in every size of Dr. Brown glass feeding bottles.
- Vacuum-free feeding allows positive pressure flow which is similar to breastfeeding.
- Since the pack comes with nipples and lids, no need for you to look for the perfect fit and it will keep your bottle away from dripping and leaking.
- The silicone coated glass make the bottle shatter-proof.
- Bottles are slim compared to other wide range bottles that are a breast-like shape
- This bottle is hard to clean because of slim shape. Wide-neck bottles are the one that is easier to sanitize.
- Cup can be deformed when sterilized.
4. Lifefactory 9-Ounce BPA-Free
The fourth best glass baby bottle is the Lifefactory 9-Ounce BPA-Free Glass Baby Bottle. This glass bottle is also considered as a popular brand. Lifefactory’s Innovative 9-ounce (250 ml) glass baby bottle with protective silicone sleeve, Stage 2 silicone nipple for 3 to 6-month infants and polypropylene (PP#5) cap, ring and stopper are almost a complete package for a starter. Since it comes with the bigger size of the bottle this set grows with your child.
- You can put this glass bottle from boiling point to freezing temperature and the glass will be ok.
- Its glass is made of borosilicate which is thermal shock resistant.
- It comes with silicone sleeves which perfectly fits the glass bottles.
- The patented pattern of silicone sleeves is an advantage for baby’s grip and helps control the bottle.
- All parts that are included can be sterilized or put into dishwasher together.
- The thin shape bottle makes it harder to clean.
- It comes with many parts which are very hard to assemble.
- Some mommies don’t like the nipples because it is hard for 6-month old babies.
- The vent and flow of the air inside the bottles are not as quality as Dr. Brown and Avent. Some even say that the vent system is not even included in the features.
5. Green Sprouts Cup – Sip N Straw – Glass – 6 Months Plus
Last but not the least is Green Sprouts Cup – Sip N Straw – Glass – 6 Months Plus. This glass baby bottle is one of the best. The Glass Sip and Straw Cup glass is lined with silicone rubber support to avoid it from shattering and breaking.It Includes two interchangeable tops no-drip silicone straw top for use as a straw that improves healthy teeth development.
- No toxic were used creating this bottle, 100% safe to use by our little one
- The built-in straw on this glass bottles is flawlessly aligned without any leaks, whether if the glass bottles are in upside down position
- The ear-hold are accessible for baby, they have an easy grip on the bottle and avoid the glass from dropping.
- Green Sprouts Cup – Sip N Straw – Glass is only good for babies more than 6 months.
- Instead of a nipple, a built-in straw was designed for that certain age.
- This glass bottle is definitely for toddlers that are learning to drink from a glass or a cup.
- Green Sprouts Cup are only available in one size only.
- This glass bottle is not advisable to sterilize because it may deform other parts like the “ear-hold” and the straw.
The Best Among The Rest Glass Baby Bottle
There you have it!, The list of my Best glass baby bottle and it can be your list too. Though the best among the best is the Philips Avent glass because of its reasonable price and its undeniable great quality to make our baby bottle feeding experience as natural as possible.
Sure Philips Avent know their crafts and makes sure that they are the best manufacturer nationwide. Philips Avent glass baby bottles are worth every penny.
Just want to share some buying tips, aside from reading my evaluation and other reviews like this, it is better to take an actual look of the bottle itself and know more about the product you are eyeing.
You know what your baby wants more than anyone else, you are the decision maker for them so don’t just settle for the better always aim for the best, because our babies are just simply the best for us.
Don’t be shy and feel free to share your own experience about glass baby bottles and your baby’s encounter with it. Comments and ideas that are shared about this topic are highly appreciated. Hope we can hear something from you, until the next best list!
Hi, This is Emma Baster; As a mom, I spend my free time caring for my kids. I’ve read a lot on the Internet to improve my childcare skill and bring the best to my kids. Eruditemommy shares my knowledge and experience through helpful posts. I hope you enjoy them!