From the first moment when you brace your baby you will understand that the baby is going to communicate through mimics, smiling, gurgling, and of course crying. All babies cry, a lot. Sometimes during theirs complain you would think that the high pitched sound could move the foundations of Earth.
Nothing was different with Leo. Of course, he cried, a lot! There was always a reason for complaining – he was hungry, the diaper was dirty, he wants to sleep – you name it! But, after some time his crying episodes were long, very loud, and the cry started and ended suddenly. This was a sign for us that something different is going on.
During the talk with our friends or relatives, the term “colic baby” was in the air together with the examples of using formulas for help. Therefore, I am here to help you understand this condition. Today I’m guiding you on the journey to find The Best Formula for Colic Baby. Check out how my journey went, and select the best one for your child!
Well, the colic represents a particular mystery of baby life. Many pediatricians agreed that colic doesn’t pose a diagnosis in medical terms, but a rather behavioral observation or condition.
The relaxation will come from knowing that the baby could be colicky even if it is healthy and well-fed. Also, the colic condition is related equally to firstborn infants, later-born ones, girls or boys. Furthermore, the conducted tests are showing that 8 to 40% of newborn babies are colicky.
Through cry, your baby will try to tell you if she is hungry, and you need to feed her. Maybe the diaper is dirty. The baby could wake up crying because she didn’t sleep well. At the end of the exhausting day, the child could be nervous and upset because of the amount of information she received that day, and she needs to rest. Probably, you see the wider picture. There are so many reasons that could start a baby cry.
But, when you baby is fussy, and it is crying out hard over an extended period, many times per day, like Leo, that could be a sign that your precious one is colicky. Once again, don’t worry and try to remain calm, because the colic condition won’t pass by itself and your baby needs you.
My experience was this – there is no way that anybody, including the doctors, will give you a precise definition of colic, or provide you with only one cause that could lead to this condition.
For determining if your child is colicky, the pediatrician did asked me how old is my child, because the colic condition relates to infants who are up to 5 months old. Further, the doctor checked the baby’s weight and height, asked me about the feeding and then determined that the baby is well-fed. After this brief test, the real colic questions came in the form of “the rule of three.” Those questions are this one below:
- Does your baby cry more than 3 hours per day?
- More than three days per week?
- And finally, more than three weeks?
Reasons for Colic
But, so many “why” are still there. You have already read about some ideas so far during this article.
- Some pediatricians are saying that the “colic stage” is normal, natural and ordinary part of baby’s life outside the mother’s womb because for nine months the baby was in perfect surrounding and now it has to adapt to the world outside.
- Smoking cigarettes during pregnancy can also be a trigger for having a colicky baby, but this possibility can be at low levels if the mother is breastfeeding her baby.
- Maybe your child is more sensitive to the world outside the mom’s belly. Therefore colic condition could be a sort of physical release and response to sounds, sights, and stimulation that baby receives from you. Always have in mind that your baby needs you because she is starting to feel you and be familiar with your appearance, touch, voice, and scent.
- The colic could appear due to an imbalance of the healthy bacteria inside the baby intestines. Scientific studies are claiming that colicky babies are having different intestines microflora than the newborns who are not considered to be colic. If this is the issue with your child, then the probiotic treatment could or will be helpful, but remember to consult about this with the pediatrician.
For how long the colic could last?
Of course, when you realize that your baby is colicky, you will want to know for long will the condition last, and what are the best ways to comfort and help her.
The duration of the colic condition is a flexible time category. The colic will peak for up to 6 weeks, and when your baby turns 3 or 4 months of age, there will be improvements in this condition, because after 4th month 80 to 90% of infants are over colic. That 10 to 20% amount could stretch out for another month.
Caring for colicky baby will be hard during this period, and you must not blame yourself if you need to rest for a few seconds. Don’t be shy; you require assistance! Call your relatives and friends for help, so that you could take some time to rest. Sleep when your baby sleeps, don’t mind the mess in the house!
Further, there are some practical aids that you can try for comforting your little one, and you can find them here, here, and here. I can say that I did all of them until there were few things that I repeated constantly.
Colic formula solution
Finally, I have narrowed it down to the spear tip of this article. Indeed, after consulting with the doctors and friends, you will hear that switching to formula was a game changing moment when it comes down to the colic. Yes, many parents will say that the use of formula helped their babies, or at least they would assume so. On the other hand, the numbers are showing that 1/4 or 1/3 of mothers decided to switch to formula to see will they work. Again, nothing was different for me because I’ve wanted to help and comfort my son like any other mom would do.
At this point, the pediatrician will usually recommend to you a cow’s milk based formula, because it contains a blend of whey and casein proteins. The practical usage of this kind of formula is showing that the majority of infants did fine with it, while the other babies needed different types of formula.
The other choices are the formulas containing only whey protein, or soy protein, or the ones with the low-lactose base. There is no harm if you switch between them while you search for the right one, just don’t do it often. Let the baby try to adapt to it for few days, and then try the other.
Probiotics are containing useful bacteria which will help to maintain things moving and assist the immune system as well by keeping it high. Therefore, the usage of probiotics has become the main stream because the gases or constipation could be the reasons for the colic condition.
Now we can move forward and see what could be The Best Formula for Colic Baby.
The Current Popular Formulas For Colic Babies – My Reviews
1. Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula – Best Formula For Colic, For A Reason
After some researching, I was aware that tummy and colic issues could be increased because of cow’s milk which contains stronger protein chains than breast milk. The cow’s milk could have triggered colic, gases, diarrhea, fussiness and that’s why my Leo needed some formula which has hydrolyzed proteins.
Hydrolyzed proteins are disassembled into smaller pieces, and this improves digestion. So, here is space where Gerber Good Start formula fits in. It is designed to help colic babies the most and to soothe this condition with several ingredients. The recipe is developed with the highest care for colicky babies, and tested in various forms and environments.
Another excellent feature of this formula is the use of probiotics. Breast milk contains Lactobacillus reuteri, and these probiotics are also of the Gerber Good Start formula. Probiotics are playing the significant role when it comes down to reducing the baby cry which is started by gases. So, the presence of L. reuteri is a good thing for the baby tummy.
- This formula brings the mix of hydrolyzed proteins and probiotics which is essential for the development of healthy microflora inside the baby belly.
- Ideal for children that need smaller amounts of proteins for digestion.
- This formula contains corn syrup as a sweetener but in lesser proportions from other formulas.
- There is a possibility that your baby could get constipation while using this formula, but it is individual-related – some children experience it, some don’t.
2. Enfamil PREMIUM Non-GMO Gentlease Infant Formula – Quick Release Formula For Fast Results
While growing, your baby needs to get proper nutrients which will help and improve the overall body development throughout every stage.
Therefore, the Enfamil Gentlease formula is rich with powerful nutrients which are essential for improving baby health and growth, and at the same time are providing comfort while treating fuzziness and gases.
The key feature of this formula is the 24 hours duration attribute. According to many parents, the formula reacts relatively fast, and when compared to other Enfamil formulas, it is more efficient when it comes down to gases, spitting, constipation and other tummy issues. Like other formulas, the Enfamil Gentlease has partially hydrolyzed proteins which are good for digestion.
Also, you will find that this formula is straightforward to mix, and the final texture is smoother than other Enfamil formulas.
When it comes down to the price, it turns out that the Enfamil Gentlease formula can fit the budget, but you need to follow the price at the market because it will fluctuate. As I could see from the reviews, can be excellent solution together with the discounts.
- Very easy to digest, this formula will bring the quick response from your baby.
- Super Sensitive valve eliminates excess air, which is particularly useful for colicky babies
- The low lactose levels together with hydrolyzed proteins are there to support healthy and easy digestion.
- The Enfamil Gentlease formula is very similar to breast milk.
- Corn syrup was used for sweetening which is increasing the risks of behavioral disorders.
- Finally, some parents are complaining that their babies still have gassy problems after using this formula.
3. Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic Infant Formula – Luxury, Quick Digestion Formula Without Bad Sweeteners
At some point, you could hear or read that some babies are allergic to cow’s milk, and the allergies could manifest through a variety of symptoms. This allergy is also considered to be a cause for the colic condition. Therefore, the manufacturers did the fantastic job when designing a hypoallergenic formula which is for the babies who are experiencing this kind of problems.
In this formula, the dairy proteins are broken down into smaller forms, so the baby could digest them quickly without experiencing the allergic reaction. On the other side, if your child is completely lactose intolerant (which is a rare disorder when it comes down to babies), you should speak to the pediatrician to find the proper one.
Furthermore, this formula leaves a 24-hour effect on the baby’s digestion and bowels, relieving her from colic for an extended period.
Many parents are confident about Similac Alimentum, and they’ve got excellent results, but that all comes with a price. The formula is costly, and some moms are saying that it costs them more than grocery budget each month. So, if your baby is suffering from an allergic reaction to cow’s milk (like eczema), the Similac Alimentum will and can help your little one. But I can advise you not to consider this formula if your baby doesn’t need it.
- This formula contains proteins in the easy-digestible form.
- Your baby will be securedfrom colic for over a 24 hours.
- No corn syrup as a sweetener.
- The Similac Alimentum is an expensive formula.
- The formula has a very unpleasant smell, so there is a possibility that your baby won’t like it.
- Not suitable for storing if you live in cold or very warm climate.
4. Enfamil Nutramigen With Enflora LGG Infant Formula – Great Formula For Allegic Babies
This particular formula was the final choice for the babies that had trouble with digesting cow’s milk and proteins within. Therefore, the Enfamil Nutramigen is a hypoallergenic formula that will aid any colic issues triggered by the allergy to cow’s milk.
If you are looking for an alternative when it comes down to the formula which is designed for sensitive tummies, the Enfamil Nutramigen formula is clinically proven to reduce and ease colic symptoms within 48 hours after your baby starts consuming.
Also, like in many other formulas, the hydrolyzed proteins which are present in the Nutramigen are extensively broken down into even smaller groups, so that baby’s belly and the immune system won’t recognize them as a whole cow’s milk proteins.
Furthermore, the formula is galactose-free and lactose-free, which will be a blessing if your baby is lactose-intolerant. On the other hand, the formula is sweetened with corn syrup because of the lactose-free content, and that might turn you away. Make sure you’re familiar and agree with this before purchase.
In addition to preventing any allergic reaction, the Enfamil Nutramigen contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) which is good bacteria that helps in reducing any allergy that can manifest through consuming the cow’s milk.
- The Enfamil Nutramigen formula is straightforward to digest.
- The hypoallergenic ingredients in the formula help babies who are allergic to cow’s milk.
- Completely galactose-free and lactose-free.
- The Enfamil Nutramigen formula is the costly formula.
- 100% corn syrup used for sweetening.
- Some babies didn’t want to take the formula because it can have an unpleasant smell.
For me, it was really hard to determine which formula could be the right choice for my Leo baby, mainly because all children are different, and that differences are showing out through the whole infantile period. But, since I have to choose and pick one for you that would be The Gerber Good Start formula. Besides the nutritional values, this formula comes with really positive commentaries related to practical usage by the moms. When making the final decision, I thought that easy digestion that this formula provides would ease any constipation issue, and I wasn’t wrong.
Hi, This is Emma Baster; As a mom, I spend my free time caring for my kids. I’ve read a lot on the Internet to improve my childcare skill and bring the best to my kids. Eruditemommy shares my knowledge and experience through helpful posts. I hope you enjoy them!