It may sound ridiculous, but I call myself a “what if” kind of mom. consider me as an always worried human being, when it comes to being a parent. Everything about my children, their daily tasks, what they supposed to do at their age right now, everything under the sun that I can ask or question about, I will research it and look for the answer. I think I already ask everything until I had this strange ( if not the strangest) thing happened to my second child because my little baby farts a lot.
Yes, you read it right, my baby farts a lot when she was around 5 to 6 months. At first, I have not noticed it yet, I thought that it was just a normal thing or process especially after breastfeeding her, all I know it was just like a burp of gas on the wrong direction, (If you get what I mean). I find it funny at times because it smells awful and it comes with sounds sometimes. However, when I said a lot it means every 30 minutes or so, she’s releasing gas. Though my baby seems ok when she farts there are times that she cries too and she looks like she’s cramping, this is when I started to worry.
How Often Baby Must Fart?
We all know releasing gas or farting is usual. But often farting or releasing of air inside your body is quite alarming, and imagine it is happening to your baby. From the time that I observed my little girl having a farting issue, I seek for an answer right away. According to my search, we can’t exactly measure how often a baby must fart. They are gassy, they can fart as often as 13 to 21 times a day, this fact makes me worry less. Who would have thought our babies have a farting special power.
What’s The Cause Of Baby’s Farting?
For nine months the baby inside the womb is swimming with amniotic fluid, no air at all. When they were born they are surrounded by air, they start breathing air. Air or gas aside from food becomes their number one need to survive or to be alive.
One of the favorite things that our baby do is to cry, let’s accept it, if they are hungry they cry, if they are sad they cry, if they are taking a bath they cry, if they are surprised they cry, even without any reason, they cry. They swallowed air every time they cry. Aside from crying they have a lot of chances they can gasp air, they can gasps air when they eat, whether breast or bottle feed and even by just sucking a pacifier. When the baby gasps an air and trapped in her or his body there’s a tendency that our baby can fart many times. They might seem bloated, to know that they are bloated, try to tap their stomach if it is sounded like a bass drum then it is full of air and they need to release that gas, in this case, they also tend to burp a lot.
They look fussy and uncomfortable if their tummy has a lot of air. If our little cute ones feel fussy and uncomfortable but when after they let go of the gas on their tummy and they look comfy and ok, it is normal, it does not matter if the fart comes out like a shout or a whisper, whether it is smelly or not, again it is OK. Based on the statement of pediatrician Jennifer Shu, MD. “”If your baby is generally happy and only fusses for a few seconds while passing gas, that’s a sign that it’s normal, even if they turn red and make noise, it doesn’t mean that it bothers them. If they’re happy in between episodes and not too distressed during them, there’s probably nothing wrong.”
How To Make My Baby Feel Better?
Since we knew that baby farts a lot, it does not mean we stop worrying and just wait for next thing to happen. We can always make them comfortable, though farting for them seems inevitable and quite normal, there are times that our baby might feel uncomfortable releasing their bad gas. We can help them feel better and ease the pain of releasing the bad air.
- The first tip, Do the burping session, especially after feeding, when they are drinking their milk, they tend to swallow air. don’t forget to make them burp, if it takes time for you to make your baby burp, sit them down on your arm facing away from you and try to tap their back upward. If they do bottle feeding, do check the hole on the nipple, make sure the flow of the milk is just right for the baby, not too slow flowing nor too fast.
- Avoid letting your baby suck an empty milk bottle. I’m guilty on this part, sometimes I’m too much committed to my task to notice that my baby was done drinking milk but continuously sucking her empty bottle, before I knew it, she already swallowed lots of air and become bloated after.
- Their feeding position has something to do as well, why our baby farts a lot. When it is milk time, make sure that their head is higher than their stomach, In this position, the milk goes to the bottom of the baby’s tummy and the air to the top which makes them burp easier. Help from a soft pillow won’t hurt to achieve this feeding position.
- Another tip to help our baby feels better is to use lukewarm water when they take a bath, it makes them relax and feels comfortable and can allow the extra gas to be released with an ease.
- Lastly, never afraid to ask. We can always ask for pediatrician’s help if our baby still being uncomfy and feel fussy when they fart. Seeking an advice of an expert or professional will give us a peace of mind.ConclusionNow, we have an idea about our baby’s secret past time – Farting. Hope it will never stop us to be a keen observer parents to our little ones, it is ok for us to be worried, it is our right to be worried about them. Though in conclusion, farting does not hurt our baby at all, there’s no harm checking and knowing what to do if it leads to a more serious problem. Hope this will help your baby’s farting issue solved. If you have questions or something to share about this article or topic feel free to comment and share your experiences. Hope you enjoyed farting, I mean reading.
Now, we have an idea about our baby’s secret past time – Farting. Hope it will never stop us to be a keen observer parents to our little ones, it is ok for us to be worried, it is our right to be worried about them. Though in conclusion, farting does not hurt our baby at all, there’s no harm checking and knowing what to do if it leads to a more serious problem. Hope this will help your baby’s farting issue solved. If you have questions or something to share about this article or topic feel free to comment and share your experiences. Hope you enjoyed farting, I mean reading.